Now that our lakes and ponds are frozen over, its important to remember to be safe when you're on the ice. Some tips on keeping you and your family safe out on the ice:
- Wait to walk out on the ice until there is at least four inches of clear, solid ice.
- ATV’s need at least 5 inches and trucks need at least 12 inches of good clear ice.
- Never drive on ice at night or when it is snowing.
- Never venture on ice alone or without telling your plans to someone.
- Always carry a pair of ice picks for personal rescue.
- Check at the access point for signs that indicate an aeration system is in operation on the lake.
- Stay clear of areas with thin ice signs.